Saturday, August 22, 2009

My Deck Garden

Last summer we tried our hand at growing a few plants on our deck, since we live in a townhouse. The tomato plants never took off, but I did get one bell pepper and a few cayene peppers. This spring we started planting seeds inside under a flourescent light and bought a few plants from a garden center. The harvest has been a lot better this year. So far I have picked at least 12 roma tomatoes, lots of cherry tomatoes and 2 yummy peppers. I have 2 green bell peppers growing right now and the tomatoes are still growing. I also have several herb plants growing and doing quite well (rosemary, basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram, garlic chives and orange mint). I am also trying to grow cilantro in the basement. It has been so wonderful to grab fresh herbs to put into my dishes. Fresh basil can make canned tomatoes taste so much like fresh tomatoes. Yesterday I made Shrimp and Chicken Jambalaya using my tomatoes, thyme, and yummy peppers. Yumm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment