Monday, September 7, 2009

Black Beans and Shrimp


Black Beans and Shrimp
Originally uploaded by Ajidivine
I had to find something to do with the ingredients I had on hand for dinner tonight. I knew I had shrimp, black beans, brown rice, half of a green pepper and some onions. So I googled shrimp and black beans to see what I could find. I found two recipes that had some hope, but as I read each recipe I noted that I was missing some ingredients. What do to do? Improvise! One recipe was Cuban Black Beans and Rice and the other was Shrimp in Black-bean sauce, so I took some ideas from both recipes and hoped they worked well together.

1lb shrimp, shelled and deviened
1 lime
2 TBSP brown sugar
3 TBSP Soy sauce
3 tsp cilantro
1/2 green bell pepper ( or more to suit your taste)
1/2 yellow onion minced fine
1 TBSP minced garlic
red pepper flakes
oil
1-2 cans of black beans
1 bag of boil in bag brown rice

Squeeze lime juice into a bowl. Add brown sugar, soy sauce, cilantro and shrimp. Combine and let sit in fridge for at least 15 min, Season with a little sea salt when time to cook.

Cook brown rice per instructions, but add some lime juice and coriander seed to the water.

Cook black beans and season lightly with your favorite seasoning. I used Goya Adobo with pepper.

Saute garlic, bell pepper, onion in a bit of oil, until they have softened. Add shrimp and marinade. Cook shrimp until done and then remove from pan. Allow marinade and veggies to cook until sauce reduces and thickens.

I put the sauce on the shrimp and a little over the brown rice. There was a bit of spicy sweet flavor to the dish, but it was very good. I think the sauce on the brown rice made it taste better. But then again I have to get use to eating brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment