Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Dinner

Yesterday I cooked, but didn't take any pics. I cooked shrimp, bell pepper, onion and mash potatoes. Weird, right? I marinated 1 pound of shrimp in 1/2 cup of asian garlic chili sauce with the juice of one lime and 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar. I have this cast iron griddle that has a grill side to it, so I figured it would work great on bell pepper and onions. I didn't want to light up the grill outdoors, so this grill pan was the next best thing. I chopped one bell pepper into about 8-9 pieces and 1/2 of a large onion in nice size chunks and put them on the well oiled hot grill. I sprinkled some adobo seasoning on them for taste. While they were cooking away I added the shrimp to the grill and let them cook on both sides until they were done (don't over cook). The mash red potatoes were a last minute thought, since I didn't want rice. All in all it was a very tasty dish.

Tonight I decided to make burritos like Moe's and Salsa Fresh (and places like them). I used ground turkey, instead of beef, and Zataran's Yellow Rice instead of white rice. I seasoned the ground turkey with chili powder, cumin, coriander, and chipotle pepper. Once the meat was done I added approximately 1/2 cup of Salsa (I used Sam's Choice White Corn & Black Bean Salsa) and one can of black beans, season to taste. The rice should be cooked per package instructions and add 3 dashes of cayenne pepper.  I added fresh cilantro to the jar of Salsa, since I could not taste any in it. Now that everything is done, it is time to build your burritos!! Use the big flour tortillas, warm them up to soften them. Load it up with the meat mixture, rice, cheese, salsa and sour cream. Wrap it carefully and enjoy. Be sure to have a fork on hand. Guacamole and lettuce are also great add ons, but I didn't have them on hand. And I didn't take any pictures, because I have not yet mastered burrito wrapping.....one of these days I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment